(urth) Father Inire-Hethor

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Fri Oct 21 07:26:49 PDT 2011

On 10/20/2011 11:05 PM, Lee Berman wrote:
>> Then of what race is Inire? At any rate, do you see the boatman as
>> deliberately guiding or helping Severian?
>> ...do you see these identifications as something Sev
>> would want to hide? (Let alone whether they are "revealed.") Do these
>> characters help Severian?
> I'm not sure I understand your question. It may be we are starting with
>
> different assumptions? I think it was Borski's mistake to assume Father
>
> Inire was trying to help Severian become the New Sun, ignoring entirely
>
> the obvious differences WOlfe gives Inire and The Cumaean vis a vis the
>
> hierodules Famulimus and Barbatus, who are definitely helping him.

I agree that Inire guides Severian in different ways from FOB (although
AFAICT he may be their employee or plant, an Agent to their
Ambassadors). However, I'm getting at why Severian would not tell us
that Hethor and your other suspects are Inire. Does he not see? Or is he
hiding it? If he is hiding it, why---which of the three reasons for a
dishonest memoir applies? If they helped Sev, then how? If not, what is
he hiding by not telling us he later recognized Inire in them?

> As I see it, Inire and the Cumaean are not trying to hinder Severian from
>
> his destiny but they have their own agenda and are trying to enact it
>
> while they have the opportunity. I see them as fallen angel analogs. From
>
> another perspective, they have eaten from the Tree of Knowledge but not the
>
> Tree of Life.

That's an interesting distinction in the context of Briah. Is there a
Xian precedent for it? (Life = eternal life, or eternal growth?)

> Their knowledge has prolonged their lives but not as they might
>
> have wished for. They are old and shrivelled and cursed by their long lives.
>

> This is in direct oppositon to Famulimus and Barbatus who are superhumanly
>
> beautiful and happy in their short lives.  They assist Severian, who is immortal
>
> and destined to be the New Sun and to return in time and be the Conciliator as the
>
> Increate has written. Nothing can change that.

These are clear, sound motives. Viziers do control their own
bureaucracies and Inire has had a chiliad to build his.

> In my view, Inire and the Cumaean have tried every foul means of extending life at
>
> their disposal: making zombies (Zama), head-splicing (Typhon), Cloning, ghoulish
>
> eating of the dead, cosmic seances, etc. Nothing really works.
>

> But they know the Conciliator who disappeared ages ago will return one day as the New
>
> Sun and he will have the true power of healing and resurrection they desire. So they
>
> spend 1000 years preparing a Commonwealth (and an enemy in the Ascians) and a dozen
>
> other strategems to try to wrest the secret from this guy when he appears, while he
>
> is young and dumb and unaware of his status.
>

> They set up a meeting with Vodalus in the graveyard.  They set up an avern duel. They
>
> set up a meeting with Inire's dead wife's corpse. They set up Thecla and a diabolical
>
> eucharist meal. They set up a meeting with Typhon's corpse and a resurrection seance.
>
> They try killing him and other people around him over and over, in hopes of getting
>
> his secret. Over and over Severian's adventures lead him to unconciously use his power
>
> around people (like the Old Leech) who want to learn the secret.

Now the question is, how? Inire can control Vodalus. What about the rest?

> I think that sums up where my theory stands now. Other questions might inspire other
>
> wrinkles to sort out.

I like that you have explained how Sev is pushed and pulled.