(urth) [BGSpam]Re: Typhon's nature

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Fri Oct 14 15:15:56 PDT 2011

From: David Stockhoff
> > On the other hand, Typhon would have known of the dangers of
> > inbreeding, and it also seems that he didn’t much like the idea of
> > genetically engineering his offspring.
>
> Why do you think this?
Because he had access to the technology, and he didn’t use it.

> > So it would be remarkable if he married his sister. Duke Rigoglio
> > doesn’t mention anything unusual about his marriage – you’d think such
> > a thing would be remarked upon.
>
> WE would. Would anyone on Urth?

In Severian’s time, people certainly would.  Of course we don;t know anything about social norms regarding incest in Typhon’s time, but those are thin grounds for assuming they were unusual.  Rigoglio does not marvel at the perverse tendency of those on Blue to marry strangers.

- Gerry Quinn