(urth) Typhon's nature

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 14 10:39:05 PDT 2011

>Gerry Quinn: Jesus existed in the universe of Urth – Silk has a vision of
>him entering Jerusalem on Palm Sunday.

I think this has been discussed in the past. That vision does seem to be of
a Jesus-like figure. But severian has been described (by Wolfe) as a Christ-
like figure and we can be pretty sure he is not Christ.

Conversely, even if the figure Silk sees in the vision happened to be named
Jesus (or Yeshua or Joshua) I don't think he is meant to be Jesus Christ, The
Saviour of Humanity. Humanity on Urth/Whorl is still plagued by all the stuff
Earth's humanity was plagued with before Jesus and even the stuff before the
Flood. Things like false (but real) gods, monsters, demonic possession, etc.

If the Jesus that Silk sees was Jesus Christ, it would mean his salvation was
only temporary and faded. Doesn't seem like a very Christian concept to me, but
I dunno. Anyway, Urth's humanity is plagued by a lot of problems with no hope
for salvation except for a New Sun that might come someday. (and as has been
mentioned in the past, it is part of Earth's God's covenant that he wouldn't
ever use a Flood again on humanity).

>Gerry Quinn: Echidna is (presumably) no blood relation of Typhon, yet her
>digitised personality has similar powers.

Mythological Echidna was Typhon's sister as well as his mate. I think there
was a purpose in naming her this way. Part of it was surely that Typhon and
Echidna are known as the "mother and father of all monsters". But wny not
make their sibling relationship part of it also.  Pagan ruling houses were well
known to use sibling matings to solidify dynasties.

Even if there were no evidence of genetically similar powers, I would think
it more likely that Echidna was Typhon's sister than that she wasn't. The
assumption of outbreeding and marriage based on love is a modern prejudice.