(urth) Typhon's nature

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Fri Oct 14 07:14:29 PDT 2011

On 10/14/2011 1:22 AM, Jerry Friedman wrote:

Okay, I've got some time. In the real world, I'd say a surgical implant
was the obvious possibility.  How can producing different proteins make
a brain capable of taking over other brains?  In sf, that doesn't apply.

In Chapter 6 of RttW, Silkhorn tells Hound the embryos were "the
products of carefully controlled matings in his workshops".  I suppose
there could have been no more intervention than that.  On the other
hand, Crane tells Silk that Mucor's brain was not recognizably human
(LotLS, Chapter 11).  That sounds like a lot to get out of selective
breeding, and makes me suspect that Typhon's scientists did something
more in the labs.  Genetic engineering, implants, surgery, and changing
the environment in the uterine replicators (as we call them here in the
wormhole nexus) all seem like possibilities and are compatible with each
other.

One speculation: There's an sf cliche that we'd all have superpowers,
but we inhibit them.  (The mandragora tells Severian that Sev's
continued psychic shrieking from being abandoned as an infant inhibits
his telepathy, which is along the same lines but not the same.)  Maybe
someone did a little surgery on Mucor's embryo to disable the part of
the brain that would have inhibited her powers. Anyway, I don't see that
it matters to the story.

I think it matters in terms of figuring out what's possible in the rest
of the story.

Positing that Typhon's labs could insert nanorobots into embryos doesn't
tell us what to do with the "carefully controlled matings" remark.
Positing microsurgical techniques fails to explain why we don't see more
evidence of microsurgery. Positing that Mucor is radio-controlled
through her fillings only pushes the explanation farther away.

There is also the fundamental technical problem that embryos don't have
brains. You can't operate on a brain that has not yet come into being,
nor will an implant do anything for quite some time. In fact, if the
brain does not develop as desired, the implant will prove to be a huge
waste. Implants fail, surgeries fail. Since we are dealing with embryos
on the Long Sun side (and large numbers of them), that pretty much
settles it.

But genetic manipulation is supported, does not need teams of scientists
performing thousands of surgeries (since the damn things grow by
themselves once you start them off---they don't need revisions or
follow-up visits), and directly connects to ever-present concerns about
paternity, heredity, and identity.

I'd go so far as to assume that all technology in Briah is genetic, or
at least somatic (who knows about astral travel, but we know there is no
"astral travel suit"), unless demonstrably otherwise.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 111014-0, 10/14/2011
Tested on: 10/14/2011 10:14:30 AM