(urth) Typhon's nature

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Sun Oct 16 12:32:59 PDT 2011

Apologies to Marc and all for the formatting disaster in my last post.
Here's a fix.

I also should clarify that the mystery of Sillk's genetic heritage and
Typhon's relationship with Echidna may OR may not be separate problems.
If the explicit Silk problem can be traced back to Typhon/Echidna, then
the source of the sperm Echidna used to create her family becomes much
more relevant and the incest question more acute.

Until then, I regard Typhonic incest as implied but unproven.

I said:
> These are two opposite principals. On the one hand, we need some
> degree of concreteness before we fall for "extraordinary claims." On
> the other, we know that some explicitness is indirect. "Explicit" does
> not mean "shouted."
>
> In the case of Typhon's theoretical incest with Echidna, it's not a
> plot point, because it's deep backstory. It's as much thematic as
> background, a little less concrete and well-defined. Standards are
> lower: there's no reason to hash it out as though it has a direct
> impact on the characters. It's just implied. I can hold it suspended
> in my mind as something that fits (the names, the monstrous offspring,
> Typhon as Satan, as Alexander, as Pharaoh, as Oz, etc.) without
> regarding it as a bedrock positive. However, we already have incest
> occurring at least twice in TBotNS, and that almost cries out for a
> third instance.
>
> Unfortunately for the antigenetic contingent, Silk himself is more
> than a character. He's a BODY. The origin of his body is itself a
> backstory. An event 30 years ago physically affects Silk today. So we
> can't just dismiss a potentially tangled and warped tale of genetic
> inheritance (of possibly very interesting traits) as unimportant just
> because we'd rather see Typhon as a one-dimensional cardboard plot
> point of no deep significance and a randomly chosen name.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 111016-1, 10/16/2011
Tested on: 10/16/2011 3:33:00 PM