(urth) Horn's ability

Marc Aramini marcaramini at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 27 22:24:40 PDT 2011

--- On Thu, 10/27/11, Gerry Quinn <gerry at bindweed.com> wrote:

From: Gerry Quinn <gerry at bindweed.com>
Subject: Re: (urth) Horn's ability
Date: Thursday, October 27, 2011, 11:08 AM

From: Lee Berman

> From 5HoC to Short Sun, from Number 5 to Shadow Children to Tzadkiel to Neighbors, Wolfe
> has addressed the Identity Problem by using characters in his fiction who are not singular
> in nature as we are. I'm not sure why multiple Father Inire identities is so troublesome
> and rises such resistance in some. Still the idea seems to nag and bother even those
> vehemently against it and that itself raises some questions in regard to why.

How neat.  That people argue against your theories itself constitutes evidence for them in your mind.

I told you why I argue against it already: Father Inire as boatman, as well as making no sense in itself,  wrecks the character and storyline of a major character, Dorcas.

> I think one problem is that the story is told in first-person, but Father Inire is
> presented in null-person. He never shows up. In my current view, the guy is either
> nowhere or all over the place. I just can't see the literary value in placing him in
> disguise as a few non-important characters. Why would Wolfe do that? Why, in the course
> of seven intense years of writing and editing and creating such difficult puzzles of which
> only some have been solved to this day, why would he make Father Inire such a throw-away?

He’s not a throwaway.  He’s the cacogen who came to Urth as advisor to the Autarchs.  He is capable of the odd spying mission in the jungle, too.  But he’s not all over the place.  He’s in the places he’s supposed to be.

- Gerry Quinn

 I was just looking at the back and forth between Gerry and Lee, and there was one brief message where it was almost friendly, and I thought it would be so awesome if you two were really just one super crazy MPD person, one with an American persona and one with the skeptical approach, so that you would always find SOMEONE agreeing with you no matter what your position was. (or have you found that now EVERYONE disagrees with everything?)

On one site where they said I was a crazy person, I signed up under a psuedonym to defend myself, but to seem credible I had to find fault with one or two "out there" Aramini theories to worm my way in to agreeing with the important points and representing them with less fervor.  bwa ha ha.  I have been applying Borski's onomastics to your names but one has nine letters and the other ten.
The best I can do is Rey Gurqinn or Berle Mane (pronounced burly of course).