(urth) mysteries of the long sun

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Thu Oct 27 21:31:56 PDT 2011

From: Lee Berman

> I kind of agree with you larry. I think the story of Nightside is great. It
> held the promise of a tale as engrossing as Severian's on first read. It
> continues nicely in Lake but starts to tail off in Calde and sorta dies in
> Exodus. Anyway, Nightside is mostly set-up. I think the best mysteries are
> found in Lake though.
For once I agree with you, Lee.  I just bought Nightside again the other day, I lost most of my books a while ago but I kept the last three of Long Sun.  The first two are brilliant, the second two start to drag.
I think Lake is the best, but Nightside contains the ghostly mysteries I need to look at, even if my analyses of them will probably not please most.
> All the stuff with Scylla and the bodies in storage
> and stuff like that. And perhaps the best (worst?) Wolfe mystery of all
> (since I haven't seen a glimmer of a successful solution so far from anyone,
> anywhere) the mysterioius numbers on the Seal of Pas. Maybe larry can do it!
Bah, it’s just a credit card type number.  The only point is it has low entropy, but it doesn’t encode anything.  Stop thinking everything is overloaded with significance.
- Gerry Quinn