(urth) Horn's ability

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 08:25:22 PDT 2011

>> David Stockhoff: Lee, do you have a link for your demonic magistrate finding? Most of
>> what I find is about OUR Hethor!
> Lee Berman wrote:
> It is from this old text- An Encyclopaedia of Occultism. It is the first entry on this
> search page and the Google blurb is the quickest way to read the relevent content:
> http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&site=&source=hp&q=hethor+astra&pbx=1&oq=hethor+astra&aq=f&aqi=&aql=1&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=1027l4808l0l5041l14l11l1l0l0l0l280l2241l0.5.6l12l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=d566e0fbd09c8604&biw=1280&bih=872
>
> If you click on the link to the Encyclopaedia, you'll get some yellow highlighted parts of
> the essentially illegible text on page 270 of the book. But if you then click on "Plain Text"
> in the upper right hand corner and go to page 270 you can read the full paragraph about the
> Astra named Hethor. Not a lot really.

Here's the deal. The five books of Severian, and the four books of Silk
(and perhaps the Book of the Short Sun although Wolfe veers into very
Orthodox territory there, I think) are so ingrained with Gnosticism that
it would be difficult to refute the assertion that these books are to
Gnosticism what the Chronicles of Narnia are to Protestant orthodoxy.
I'm not saying I'm comfortable with that argument, but it would be very
difficult to refute it.

Admittedly, it's possible to make too much of it. Wolfe has said that
Briah, Yesod, and the names of the other universes freely ripped from
the Gnostic lexicon without too much care for theological precision.
However, I think it is a mistake to assume that the saint names were
chose haphazardly for the characters. Given the deep level of Gnostic
detail carved into these books, it is extremely likely that the saint
name Hethor was settled on precisely BECAUSE it was also the name of a
Gnostic angel (an Astra, ie. "star", that is a "fallen star", that is a
"fallen angel" ). And it would be very like Wolfe to craft a character
that refers to both of those etymologies...as well as others such as
"Hector" or the English primrose variety known as the "Hethor Giant".

The word "inhuma" references a species of bird, Dionysus, vampires, and
monstrosity--and all that is worked into the narrative. Wolfe is just
very, very clever. And he invites us to be very clever too.