(urth) Horn's ability

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Wed Oct 26 17:44:49 PDT 2011

On 10/26/2011 6:10 PM, Andrew Mason wrote:
> lee Berman wrote:
>

>>> Andrew Mason: Hethor is also a saint, one of the martyrs of Chertsey. I take it that
>>> is the reference our Hethor is going for, since he is trying to pass
>>> as a Commonwealth citizen.
>> Oh surely! But why must it be "the" (singular) reference? Consider the name Palaemon.
>> It is a saint name but is also a greek sea god. I think the duality of that name might
>> have significance given our megatherian friends. And I consider Hethor to be a more
>> mysterious and enigmatic character than Palaemon and worth paying even more attention
>> to if his name has a dualistic nature (demonic and saintly). No, I don't think Wolfe
>> chose these dualistic names by accident.
> Oh, certainly. I said that was the reference _Hethor_ was going for.
> What _Wolfe_ may have meant by it is quite another matter.

It almost feels sometimes like Hethor is possessed, and I am reminded of
Silhouette and its void-demon worshipers. However, though we see divine
possession at short range in the Whorl, we don;t seem to see much of it
on Urth. Still, he's been in space a long time ...

(When I googled "hethor name" it suggested "hector." the resemblance is
close enough for google's algorithm ...)