(urth) Horn's abilities

Andrew Mason andrew.mason53 at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 26 10:07:44 PDT 2011

James Wynn wrote:

> There is simply no other reasonable explanation, given the context, for
> Pike's sparkly disapperating ghost and the astral flying Oreb Silk also
> meets upstairs at a time when Oreb's wing is damaged.
> Combine that with Rajan appearing in the grandmother's tale, and the
> timelines not matching for when Horn left, Hide left, Hoof left, and the
> ages of Sinew's sons -- well, dream-travel is time travel.

I'm not wholly convinced by that, because of the vagueness of dates in
the _Sun_ universe generally. GW in one of the appendices to _New Sun_
complains that the people of that age have a strangely vague
conception of time; and there's something in OBW which suggests people
on Blue aren't entirely clear about how long the year is.

> Not give the subsequent appearance of astral Oreb.

Oreb appears _before_ Pike. Silk wakes up to see 'Oreb' flyibng out to
the window, then, if I remember rightly, talks to Mucor for a while,
then goes downstairs and talks to the real (contemporary) Oreb, then
hears the bed creaking, comes upstairs again, and sees PIke. PIke and
Oreb aren't together; and given that Silk only saw him flying out of
the window, it;s not clear that it is Oreb at all.