(urth) Father Inire as Dionysus

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 26 09:28:17 PDT 2011

>David Stockhoff: Severian is the White Fountain and rode Tzadkiel's ship;

That's correct. And Gene Wolfe knew this while writing the first few chapters
of his book as evidenced by Severian's family crest. He expected us to figure
that out without what we learn in UotNS.  Holy Crap, Gene! That's crazy!

But it does illustrate how deeply Wolfe is willing to bury his mysteries though
some will eternally doubt it.

>Apparently there are ships and there are Ships. I am sure Typhon's fleet
>did not consist of a single ship full of freaks and mutants. I don't
>think Hethor's ship really IS the White Fountain....; Hethor and Jonas may have
>(rode the Ship) as well. The Ship gets around. but it can't be all ships.

Well, no but as I noted in the post to Sergei, it is the only Ship which can travel
to the end (and beginning) of the universe to retrieve the White Fountain.

I mentioned to Sergei about the ship hulks which serve as portions of the Citadel.
And your mention of a "fleet" brings to mind that B, F and O have their own ship
which they use to hover above Baldanders' castle and which they use to rescue
Severian from his Apu Punchau burial chamber. That ship, while big, is not nearly
as big as Tzadkiel's Ship (the "Quasar" if we may believe Hethor).

Is B, F and O's ship the tender? I kinda think the tender is even smaller than
their ship because it can land directly on the ground. So maybe Tzadkiel does sorta
have a "fleet".  But I am still quite sure there is only one *Ship*.