(urth) Father Inire as Dionysus

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Wed Oct 26 07:21:40 PDT 2011

On 10/26/2011 10:08 AM, James Wynn wrote:

> Then who is Helen? Presumably Agia. Is Dorcas then Thecla, Achilles'
> mother (whose might by Tethys by another name (a name that means
> "grandmother")? Or is she Doris, the mother of Thetis (her own
> grandmother by way of Tethys), which would then mean Severian's
> mysterious mother is the shape-changing Thetis?

I didn;t know Thecla is Achilles' mother---Mantis does not note it. But
that does suggest a starting point to a thread of Illiad connections.
However, I'd approach that by asking how Thecla is Sev's mother, and I
don;t have an answer.

In a way she does push him out into the world, but her later merging
with him only suggests motherhood if you require incest as a minimum
feature of all Sev's relationships. Rather than giving him his life, she
gives him her life. I don;t see this going far.