(urth) Words and Such art

Marc Aramini marcaramini at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 25 12:25:15 PDT 2011

--- On Tue, 10/25/11, Gerry Quinn <gerry at bindweed.com> wrote:

From: Gerry Quinn <gerry at bindweed.com>
Subject: Re: (urth) Words and Such art
Date: Tuesday, October 25, 2011, 12:10 PM

From: Antonin Scriabin

> The art for Wolfe's books is so hit and miss!  The Richard Bober illustrations

> for the Long Sun books are awesome, and particular favorites of mine.  This

> one, one the other hand, not so much:

>  http://www.lwcurrey.com/pictures/114676.jpg.  As I recall, Severian was

>  the opposite of nonchalant (chalant?) at that particular scene.

It’s nice that they did something different.  Not so nice that they did it so horribly.

[ ] would read on train

[x] would not read on train

- Gerry Quinn

That was the first Wolfe book I ever saw, I was like in the fourth grade or so and my father's co-worker gave me all his used sci-fi magazines and SFbook club hardback books after he was done with them.  Claw of the conciliator, book club hardback with that illustration - I had to go look for Shadow and buy a used paperback to read it.

I might read it on the train just for the snickers, then I could start extolling his literary virtues to the disbelief of my fellow passengers.