(urth) Catherine

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Tue Oct 25 04:16:48 PDT 2011

On 10/24/2011 11:07 PM, Lee Berman wrote:

> I think that is very insightful. The Pelerines really might be involved. There are a few
>
> clues that they may be more involved with witches than we might expect. Anyway there is a
>
> mysterious "Red Tower" which is not so easy to identify the residents of as the other
>
> mentioned towers. Perhaps this Red Tower is the home of the Pelerines and perhaps this
>
> tower is one of those around the Atrium of Time.

Certainly the Pelerines are a good candidate to occupy the Red Tower.
Everyone in the Citadel is a relic of a past age.

> To answer a question by David Stockhoff, no I don't think this
> beheading (fake ones or real one) is part of Catherine's torture
> sentence. I think the penalty for adultery is strangulation and in the
> Citadel, this is accomplished by the guild using Allowin's Necklace.
> That's why the corpse has a "livid face". Severian does not have this
> device in Thrax and thus must use his hands (though of course he stops
> before completing the action).

I agree about adultery and strangulation by whatever means. But I may be
confused about something. As I understand it, you believe Katharine, who
was beheaded, to be Catherine, who was strangled. Right?