(urth) Catherine/Carina

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Mon Oct 24 19:39:16 PDT 2011

I noticed the following line in Talos' play:

FAMILIAR: The Contessa waits outside, and as she is of exalted blood, and a

favorite of our sovereign's, I beg you see her first.

Enter the CONTESSA.

This suggests Sev's mom was a favorite of the Old Autarch's. If so, this
confirms for me that Sev only learned/suspected his maternity upon his
ascension.

(1) He only suppresses his knowledge as he writes the Inn of Lost Loves
scenes because he didn't know it at the time they occurred. He can't be
accused of hiding it, just of not connecting the dots for his reader.
He's being delicate in the narrative because of Dorcas as well and has
no wish to be cruel to his father. So he leaves the obvious unsaid, even
for the reader.

(2) AFAICT, when Sev interrogates Ouen he is only interested in figuring
out Dorcas. He already suspects that she is much older than she looks,
and that Ouen is her son. He has no idea Ouen is his father. He only
inquires about Catherine after he is told he resembles Ouen; he puts 2+2
together because the Old Autarch knows Catherine but not Ouen. Nor,
presumably, did the Autarch know about Sev or of twins, or else Sev
would know about any Severa. This confirms that the Autarch had no hand
in any breeding project, but Inire may have.

(3) Sev's motive for not making his parentage clear at the beginning of
his story remains one of needing to set up the orphan tale, and it
persists at the end. It's a genre thing: you can't have "Chapter 82: In
Which Our Hero Finds His Parents" without changing the tale from "orphan
makes it alone in the world" to "orphan finds success and parents." In
fairy tales, plenty of orphans discover their parents, which discovery
tends to dominate the resolution. BotNS satisfies this technically but
not emotionally by passing it by.

Nor does Sev go in search of Catherine, because he is sure, as Old
Autarch and young torturer, that she is dead. Andre-Driussi has some
great ideas about the Atrium of Time, but Catherine's hiding there
doesn't work, because Severian would know she still lives. Further,
while Valeria as ancient, frozen child has no real flaws I can see, I
don't see the point in a noble family serving the Autarchy for a chiliad
by ... not even knowing time has passed. Loyalty must mean more than that.