(urth) Home Fires questions

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Mon Oct 24 17:06:49 PDT 2011

On 10/24/2011 6:45 PM, Stephen Hoy wrote:
> On Oct 24, 2011, David Stockhoff <dstockhoff at verizon.net> wrote:
> > I note from Lexicon Urthus that "Os" is a town along Gyoll. It means
> mouth, opening, source.
> > The loa Legbo, who seems to ride Chelle's father as an Os, is a
> speaker/mouthpiece/gatekeeper.
>
> Yes, Os = "mouth" is one of the possible meanings that can make you
> scratch your head.  Another possibility is Os = "Yourselves / Each Other."

Whoa. nice!

> The anthem. "El Continente de los Héroes," was played at the Canam
> spaceport on Chelle's return, suggesting the possibility of a
> spanish-language influence when NORA (presumably) chose a name for the
> Earth's extra-solar adversaries.  Of course it could have a color
> basis, too, as Os = "bone-(white)."

Well, since the future world is in part a fulfillment of paranoid
fantasies ....

> None of these possibilities gains much traction because we have almost
> no information about the nature of the Os. The most revealing info
> comes from a discussion of spying in Ch 2, "I can't imagine how a
> human being could spy on the Os." "Electronically."

Yeah, there's not much to go on. But I do think the color associations
are key. As I noted way back, a certain group of loa, including Legba,
are white rather than other colors. Perhaps the Os have an empire of
sentient-riders, i.e., they all ride other beings.