(urth) Home Fires questions

Stephen Hoy stephenhoy at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 24 15:45:33 PDT 2011

On Oct 24, 2011, David Stockhoff <dstockhoff at verizon.net> wrote:
> I note from Lexicon Urthus that "Os" is a town along Gyoll. It means mouth, opening, source.
> The loa Legbo, who seems to ride Chelle's father as an Os, is a speaker/mouthpiece/gatekeeper.

Yes, Os = "mouth" is one of the possible meanings that can make you scratch your head.  Another possibility is Os = "Yourselves / Each Other." The anthem. "El Continente de los Héroes," was played at the Canam spaceport on Chelle's return, suggesting the possibility of a spanish-language influence when NORA (presumably) chose a name for the Earth's extra-solar adversaries.  Of course it could have a color basis, too, as Os = "bone-(white)."

None of these possibilities gains much traction because we have almost no information about the nature of the Os. The most revealing info comes from a discussion of spying in Ch 2, "I can't imagine how a human being could spy on the Os." "Electronically."