(urth) Father Inire as Dionysus

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 24 12:26:27 PDT 2011

>Gerry Quinn: If I remember rightly, Severian refers to him living much
>longer than “others of his short lived kind”, suggesting that Severian
>considers him to be an anomalously long-lived Hierodule.

Yes, he seems to have sacrificed superhuman youth, beauty and height for
long life. Likewise for The Cumaean.

>He also says he “has made his home here” meaning Urth.

Yes. In contrast to the other, nice-looking hierodules who make appearances
on Urth but would rather hover their ship over Baldanders' castle rather than
find Urthly lodgings.

>Maybe he’s a full Hiero, or at any rate something more than the average Hierodule?

Something less, I think. But when you've fallen from heaven, what else are you
going to do but hang out on earth and use what power you've got to influence
things to be the way you prefer them to be. Plenty of cuties on earth too-
Europa, Semele, Pandora, Lilith, Dorcas, Agia.. Heh, I think there was a movie called
"Earth Women are Easy".