(urth) Father Inire as Dionysus

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Mon Oct 24 11:59:58 PDT 2011

From: António Pedro Marques

> Sergei SOLOVIEV wrote (24-10-2011 19:13):

> > By the way, no human emotions are attributed to any of the explicitly
> > alien personages in BoTNS. Would not making this in case of Hethor break
> > the rule (IF he is Inire, who is an alien).

Inire does have some characteristic habits and behaviours, though – he’s not utterly inhuman in the emotional sense.  And Odilo in ‘The Cat’ certainly believes Inire has emotions that he (Odilo) understands

> Maybe. And do we know for certain FI is an alien?

If I remember rightly, Severian refers to him living much longer than “others of his short lived kind”, suggesting that Severian considers him to be an anomalously long-lived Hierodule.  He also says he “has made his home here” meaning Urth.  Maybe he’s a full Hiero, or at any rate something more than the average Hierodule?

- Gerry Quinn