(urth) Father Inire as Dionysus

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Mon Oct 24 11:24:47 PDT 2011

On 10/24/2011 2:03 PM, Sergei SOLOVIEV wrote:
> I think that Wolfe likes a lot to make the different personages to
> mirror each
> other in some imperfect way. There is a sort of hierarchy (more
> imperfect -
> less imperfect). It fits very well the (Christian) concept that  Evil
> is a distorted Good.
> For example, the boatman loves dead Dorcas. Hethor has no love,
> and is more deeply mired in evil. Still, he is strongly attracted by
> Agia,
> and maybe not completely lost. Anyway, much worse cases are possible.
>
> Thea and Thecla are similar in some respects and different in others.

Definitely. This technique was use by none other than Shakespeare. Pick
up any play, pick a character, and start looking for a counterpart.
He/she will be there somewhere, even if not entirely an equal. Every
Prince has a bastard brother.

> Could not be the "way of air" just using flyers?

Severian does ride one to/from Typhon's Citadel, making such a Path more
than figurative.