(urth) Father Inire as Dionysus

António Pedro Marques entonio at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 10:06:11 PDT 2011

David Stockhoff wrote (24-10-2011 17:09):
> On 10/24/2011 11:54 AM, Dan'l Danehy-Oakes wrote:
>> David Stockhoff wrote:
>>
>> ... at the end of an excellent post...
>>
>>> Recall however that is it Appian who reveals the mirrors to Severian. Inire
>>> uses him so he can hide in the background.
>> OK, a couple of people have taken to referring to the Old Autarch as
>> Appian. Is there any actual evidence for this? I have the impression
>> that Appian is a more historical figure.
>
> Lexicon Urthus says so, but I don't recall the revealing passage. Appian was
> apprentice to the honey steward Paeon. He ruled for a long time, being
> young, according to LU.

*Iirc*, it was put to rest that the Old Autarch was *not* the Appian
mentioned in the text; however, 'Appian' has become such a traditional name
for him, that as a matter of List Lore I think it can prevail (the name, not
the identification - so we have two Appians, the one in the text and the Old
Autarch). *Iirc*.