(urth) Catherine

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 24 09:33:10 PDT 2011

Thecla was important.  But  perhaps not as important as eating the mother of the
Conciliator/New Sun (which Vodalus may or may not know about. But  SOMEBODY in power knows about it).

>They’re not so fussy.  It looks like they’ll eat anyone, at a pinch, even if some of them have
preferences:

>A voice I recognized as belonging to the armiger asked, "Have  any of you seen her yet?"
>The others had sounded merely boastful, but there was hunger of a kind I had never heard
>before behind his simple words. He might have been some lost traveler asking about his home.
>"No, Waldgrave." (Another voice.) "Alcmund says a good one, not old or too young." "Not another
>tribade, I hope."

Your supposition is not supported by the text Gerry. If Vodalus and his followers were happy to
eat anyone, why did they fly all the way down to Nessus and the Necropolis and risk their lives
getting that particular body? Surely there are plenty of dead people around Saltus and other
surrounding towns they could eat, eh?

Moreover, I've suggested that Vodalus is operating on the commands of someone superior to him. If
he doesn't know the significance of their feast choice I see no reason for Waldgrave and Alcmund
to know them. I find the mention of a tribade (lesbian) to be of significance when it comes to
Severian's family.