(urth) Father Inire as Dionysus

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Mon Oct 24 08:48:43 PDT 2011

On 10/24/2011 11:20 AM, Lee Berman wrote:
> In parallel to the gnostic symbols marking the Witches Tower, I think, are the teratoid (monster)
> symbols marking Father Inire's mirror chamber. I think this mirror-monster association makes
> the connection to Hethor extra clear.

I agree, except that to me the connection is mostly related to to what
all these people do (witches, sorcerers, etc.).

I think one can divide up characters' significance in only a few ways:
who they are (which in Wolfe goes right down to the DNA), who they know,
what they know, what they want, and what they are willing to do to get
it. (Legal status does not usually come up as a central feature; rather,
like a name, it can change.)

Hethor is a sorcerer and a sailor. It is no surprise that he has picked
up some knowledge of the kind Inire is master of. This comparison is
something Wolfe uses to impart a sense of scale and depth: the sticks
that children play with are like the swords knights wield, and so on.
The Heirodules are to the Increate as we are to the gods, etc.

In Briah, the stars and planets themselves---and travel between
them---are realms of gnostic knowledge and as such a key to wisdom (the
truth about creation and about ourselves). Outer space is akin to
Faerie. Hethor has been to Elfland and stolen a few scraps; Inire is the
Elfking. Something like that. Inire doesn't need to fake a stutter and
follow Sev around to keep track of him. Rather, he is the super-Hethor.
In this way we receive a hint of his powers.

Recall however that is it Appian who reveals the mirrors to Severian.
Inire uses him so he can hide in the background.