(urth) Father Inire as Dionysus

Ryan Dunn ryan at liftingfaces.com
Sun Oct 23 22:58:40 PDT 2011

On Oct 23, 2011, at 11:24 PM, Lee Berman <severiansola at hotmail.com> wrote:

> On the other hand, I am quite sure that the dead woman dug up by Vodalus is also a version of Catherine. It combination of clues, the dark hair, the pale gown, the livid face and an overly detailed description of Allowin's necklace. Also,
>
> Catherine was unfaithful to SOMEBODY with her sexual encounter with Ouen.

- Might this suggest that Ultan is Severian's grandfather on the maternal side (Catherine's father), while the boatman is his grandfather on the paternal side (Ouen's father)? Sorry if this has already been discussed.

To that end, if there is significance to knowing that Ultan is his grandfather, would it be significant to know the identity of the boatman? Or is just being a shopkeeper and lost soul without his lover enough of an identity?

...ryan