(urth) theories

Andrew Mason andrew.mason53 at googlemail.com
Sun Oct 23 12:35:11 PDT 2011

Marc Aramini wrote:

> My problem with all this is simply dismissing evidence in the text.  I don't like James' Tussah as Typhon because Silk and Chenille don't look alike, its an insurmountable block for me (Silk's face on Pas at end of Exodus), but his explanation for the password Thetis is SPOT ON.

Well, I think this depends on the kind of theory. Your tree theory is
presented in order to explain evidence, and you have listed the
evidence it is meant to explain. I'm not yet sure how effectively it
explains the evidence, and whether the evidence could be explained
more economically, and whether perhaps parts of the theory could be
detached while others remained. But I couldn't dismiss it simply in
the grounds that it reminds me of Polanski. But some other theories
seem to be more driven by a conviction about the sort of work _New
Sun_ is; and I think it makes perfect sense to reject them on  the
basis of an opposed conviction about the sort of work _New Sun_ is.