(urth) theories

Sergei SOLOVIEV soloviev at irit.fr
Sun Oct 23 11:18:55 PDT 2011

Dear Ryan,

I see the flaw in the theory that the boatman is Inire because the
it was suggested before that Inire has some diabolic aspects
(the authors of this theory tried to identify him also with the
"healer" in Vodalus army who drained the boy and indulged
also in "sadopedophilic" practices with him), and it would mean
that Severian has, at least partly, diabolic origin. It is this
theory that reminds me Polyanski and seems not compatible
with the message of Gene Wolfe. It is not
the question, whether the boatman reminds me about Polyanski,
it is the question of the theory that does. And it is not just a
question of arbitrary decision
(my arbitrariness against yours).

Sergei