(urth) Father Inire as Dionysus

Jeff Wilson jwilson at clueland.com
Sat Oct 22 08:25:54 PDT 2011

On Sat, October 22, 2011 09:48, Lee Berman wrote:
> I'm not following this. HOw does a doctor, created and bred solely to
>
> minister to Baldanders, know of the Contessa Carina? He lives in a remote
>
> place.  He is not supposed to be privy to the lives of exultants nor the
>
> politics of the House Absolute and Carina is not found in Severian's
> writings
>
> (except, of  course as a contribution from Talos, himself).
>

> Talos' play contains cosmic knowlege of the past and future of a type
> known
>
> only to a very few others such as Malrubius and Cyriaca's mysterious
> uncle.
>
> I cannot ignore the source of this knowledge for each of these characters
>
> as an important literary clue to the subtext of the story.

Talos' cosmic knowledge could easily have come from FB&O's
wisdom-spreading audiences with Baldanders. His society knowledge can as
easily have come from his association with the upper classes as a popular
traveling entertainer, and perhaps as a keen eavesdropper endowed with
foxlike senses.

--
Jeff Wilson - < jwilson at clueland.com >
A&M Texarkana Computational Intelligence Lab