(urth) Silk's origin

Marc Aramini marcaramini at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 21 20:45:16 PDT 2011

--- On Fri, 10/21/11, Gerry Quinn <gerry at bindweed.com> wrote:

Are you suggesting that I should refrain from pointing out problems I observe in theories that are proposed here?

- Gerry Quinn

I don't think that's what he's suggesting, but have you ever found any interpretations outside of the non-implied ones convincing?  How do you interpret the identity of the Rajan?  My tree understanding makes it clear to me: he is mostly Horn until he sits under the tree at the end of OBW, then the vanished god/tree lets him say his goodbyes and the Rajan is then Silk in denial, thus accounting for the shift in tone, but there is no mechanism for transfer without the tree, a motiff repeated over and over in conjunction with the vanished people.  do you ever account for these things or simply sweep them under the rug as if they don't exist in the text, or exist in at best a completely inapplicable way to the totality?

So the total journey is Horn dying on Green, being sent into the suicidal Silk who is gone, giving up his eye so Silver Silk is rebooted into the body, then narrating OBW as a confused blending of Silver Silk and Horn until the tree allows him to sacrifice himself and be only Silk, but Silk heavily in denial, making huge IRONIC statements in OBW like "silk would never lie to himself like I do about loving nettle" (paraphrased)  That reading scheme requires an ironic readng of statements about identity.  Can you account for the chage in tone from OBW to IGJ or do you simply say IT ISN'T THERE AR ALL?  That is, I think, what he gets at in bringing up the negative approaches: smoothiing over strange anomalies in the text as if they were not present.  I won't say I'm right, but can you address the sudden shift in tone to a positive one at the end of OBW and why Horn says goodbye there?  My theory DOES explain that and I always feel comfortable in
 identifying EXACTLY who the narrator is - I was very CONFUSED before that, so my theory, for me, made the text make sense, when before it really didn't.

Just my 2 cents.  I don't want to argue with you excessively because we have radically different approaches to Wolfe, but my approaches are TEXT BASED, I didn't come up with these things from anything but re-reeading the work and thinking about it and how best to explain the weird vegetable motiffs.