(urth) Father Inire - Hethor

Andrew Mason andrew.mason53 at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 21 13:58:20 PDT 2011

Jeff Wilson wrote:

>> Why can he see Severian and Agia while Marie
>> cannot?
>
> How can we tell he sees Severian and Agia?

Actually, this is rather less clear than I imagined, but I still think
he can. Isangoma says 'The tokoloshe, Preceptress, the tokoloshe
come'. Marie says 'I think he's lost his mind,' and Robert replies 'He
has eyes, Marie, and you don't.' After this Robert looks at Severian
and Agia, and says 'As Isangoma says, the tokoloshe are here.'  So he,
at least, clearly thinks Isangoma can see them.

Later when Severian leaves, while Isangoma is chanting, he says 'The
chant continued, but the chanter knew we were going; his singsong held
a note of triumph'.