(urth) Father Inire as Dionysus

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Fri Oct 21 08:51:18 PDT 2011

From: Lee Berman

> The end of RttW makes it pretty clear that The Outsider (and, through
> an ambiguous father-son connection, Typhon) are meant to be tracked
> in some manner with the Earth god Dionysus.

I don’t think the Dionysus references indicate anything more than his stature as a pagan god on ancient Urth (and Earth).  Gods evolve as theology evolves.  Dionysus was real (and so are Pas and the others), but the True God, of whom the Outsider is an aspect, is realer.  That’s how I read Wolfe’s extra-textual observations on these matters.

- Gerry Quinn