(urth) [BGSpam]Re: Silk's origin

Marc Aramini marcaramini at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 21 08:38:12 PDT 2011

--- On Fri, 10/21/11, Gerry Quinn <gerry at bindweed.com> wrote:

What exactly are the things we need to explain?

- Gerry Quinn
 The bumps in the night with the staff, the trees that eat trees, why the vanished people react hostilely to people cutting down wood, how the narrator can astral travel with no ihumi present but with his staff, why he aways feels watched around the forest or when Babbie is pushing a log, why Babbie gets defensive around horn's sons when they are threatened and says huh huh huh, why the narrator seems to show up in an ancient story (not just the surface explanation), why the staff has a face, why the islands are made up of giant herbs and this scares the narrator, why the tone changes between OBW and IGJ, why the vanished person is shown on  a tree at the end of RTTW when the man looks through the ring.  the tree in Long Sun quetzal calls a parent tree that is his shelter and comfort.  the myth of man climbing up the tree but not coming down yet in Long Sun.

But none of that stuff is important to the text in a straight, non explicated reading, Gerry, so, once again, let's agree to disagree.  I just know that when I write my unpublished dereliction of art stories, sometimes things are implied like that and they are not explicitly stated, and let's be honest if it is a misprision it was directly inspired by my interpretation of Wolfe's style.  Wolfe implies a lot.  he even says the vegetable matter was a waste, that Pas would have a better plan for it.

-----Inline Attachment Follows-----