(urth) Father Inire - Hethor

Ryan Dunn ryan at liftingfaces.com
Wed Oct 19 16:49:58 PDT 2011

On Oct 19, 2011, at 7:19 PM, "Gerry Quinn" <gerry at bindweed.com> wrote:

> From: Andrew Mason
>
> > Of course, it doesn't have to be so. The problem with reading Wolfe is
> > that we know some things are hidden beneath the surface, but for every
> > proposed theory about them there are also rival theories which are
> > equally possible. Nevertheless it seems to me that this one is
> > relatively reasonable.
>
> My theory is that Wolfe always hides things in plain sight.  We may be told things in passing, and miss them through not paying sufficient attention – but we are told all important plot elements.

I also think he presents contextual clues, thens expects the reader to participate in solving mysteries.

For instance, Talos casting a glamor on Jolenta, Severian making a narrative point to recognizing the Badger... I think that is Wolfe sort of telling the reader to be on the look out for other like situations where Severian happens to not notice.

He shows us in the Pinakotheken with the moon man image that Severian can observe and report something but totally misinterpret or simply get it wrong.

These sorts of situational clues I think can go a long way toward looking the right way for riddles and demystifications.

I just haven't gotten there yet. :)

...ryan