(urth) Typhon's nature

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Wed Oct 19 16:13:53 PDT 2011

From: Andrew Mason

Gerry Qunn wrote:
>Andrew Mason:
> >> The monarch repented, and everything we see of Typhon, both on Urth
> >> and on the Whorl, would have come after that repentance. I think it's
> >> clear that this monarch is Typhon, since in _Urth_ there is a specific
> >> reference to him as having brought the books to to the Citadel.
>
> > Where does it say that?

> _Urth_ chapter 36 (the physician speaking):

> 'This coast is quake-prone, as the old records indicate clearly enough
> - praise to our Monarch, by the way, for having them brought here.'
Fair enough, though it doesn’t really give the impression that Typhon was trying to suppress knowledge.  But I just found a problem:
“Their spoil was gathered into a great heap in the city of Nessus, which was then newly built, to be burned.”
Surely Nessus was built long before the reign of Typhon?
Either way, Typhon eventually came to appreciate the pleasures of a good book:
"Nessus shall be your capital, if you wish it. From your throne in Nessus you will send me tribute of fair women and boys, of the ancient devices and books, and all the good things this world of Urth produces."

- Gerry Quinn