(urth) Typhon's nature

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Tue Oct 18 13:19:05 PDT 2011

On 10/18/2011 11:01 AM, David Stockhoff wrote:
> On 10/18/2011 10:12 AM, Jerry Friedman wrote:
>> I admit I haven't read Paradise Lost, but I took a quick look at Book
>> 2, lines 740-850 or so, which seemed promising.  I saw where Satan
>> had consensual sex with his daughter, Sin, and got her pregnant.
>> Death was born (tearing through Sin's entrails) and later raped her,
>> producing monsters.  Does Satan rape her or some other daughter at
>> some other point?
> I too must admit I'm a little foggy on that point---I may have
> conflated the rape with the sex and thus skipped a generation. But you
> get the general idea.
>
> This is allegorical in a way I do not expect to find repeated in Long
> Sun. I'm not sure why Death + Sin = monsters, beyond that the whole
> reason Adam and Eve were kicked out of Eden is that they sinned and
> thus found mortality. Cue Pandora and her box. So this is in a sense a
> recap of the apple story with sex as the central act or event.

Jerry, I'm glad I brought up PL and that you corrected me on the
passage. Milton is probably the original fantasist (as well as
propagandist) of English literature. Even a Catholic wouldn't dare to
ignore him in building a mythology!

Thinking a little further: Echidna's spawn and Sin's spawn seem to be
roughly parallel---one may even be an imitation of the other---but one
is based on a clear moral system and the other is not, or at least not
on one familiar to us.

I'm not sure what Greek monsters really do except entertain us and
present us with puzzles about the intractability of the struggle of
human nature vs itself and the unforgiving universe---gods too. Maybe
the gods were supposed to humble us by depicting exaggerated human
weakness and simultaneously inflicting always-inventive punishments for
them.

But what Wolfe appears to have done is synthesize from these and
possibly other sources to get a mythology that is comprehensive within a
narrow context, and as well developed as Roman state paganism in 2000
A.D. It's flexible enough to serve the goal of stability, in terms of
social engineering, and just moral enough to highlight the inadequacy of
its morality and ethics. It's ripe for the Outsider to reveal himself to
and bring down.

(1) Given that assumption, it is not odd to find Tartarus as Typhon's
son and the unions of Satan + Sin, Sin + Death, and Typhon + Echidna a
bit blurred.

(2) Typhon of New Sun shows no sign of becoming Pas, but he was a good
candidate as an exemplary tyrannical Ruler of Worlds. If we take him as
Archon of whatever plane of existence Urth is in (Puritans used to see
Satan as almost the jailer/landlord of the filthy world outside church,
and Death can be seen as the single truly immutable law of the mortal
plane, hiding the truth of Eternal Life), then it fits for him to have
created a kind of tapestry of gods to wrap around the colonists and hide
from them the true nature of the Outsider and the universe.

(3) Even if this pantheon and the society described by Mamelta were not
fleshed out at the time New Sun was written, my guess is that they were
at least conceived of. Typhon's "I send my thought" which is so opaquely
suggestive without this added information becomes much easier to read
with it. I no longer see any need for Typhon to be a telepathic sport.
Telepathic, yes, but not in the way I guessed before Long Sun. Purely
electronic, definitely not, nor purely genetic.

And yes, it does matter! Typhon's mindnet is as close to magic as the
series gets; it's beyond analysis. His genes are still superior but not
to the degree that the Mule's would have been. (IIRC, the Mule was
sterile anyway.)