(urth) memory and Suzanne (offshot of Typhon's nature)

Jerry Friedman jerry_friedman at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 17 13:47:24 PDT 2011

>From: Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com

>I don’t agree that the name of the main character in Suzanne Delage is significant, or that it is about memory.  Sure, the name is apparently that of a minor ?>character in Proust, and Wolfe is known to like Proust.  But nobody has ever, as far as I know, proposed any particular connection between the actual Proust >character who bears the same name, and the character in Wolfe’s story.  If the story was called Mary Macdonald, I would read it exactly the same way as I do.

The excerpt from Proust is available at the WolfeWiki
http://www.wolfewiki.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Stories.SuzanneDelage
and there are more resemblances than the character's name.  Whether these resemblances should suggest anything about the interpretation of the story is another question.

Jerry Friedman