(urth) Typhon's nature

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Mon Oct 17 13:30:56 PDT 2011

On 10/17/2011 2:37 PM, Mark Millman wrote:
> Mr. Stockhoff,
>
> On Monday 17 October 2011, you wrote:
>

>> Mark
>>
>> Are you sure you know what a person-
>> al attack is?
> Yes.  That's one.  It questions me--in this case, my ability to
> comprehend discourse--and not my ideas of what constitutes a personal
> attack.
>
> If I'm moved to complain, somebody has done something wrong.  If it's
> been inadvertent, then there's no reason not to apologize and continue
> discussing the issues.  If it's malicious, then there's a bigger
> problem.  If it's a result of somebody's style of argument, it's
> regrettable; and I think it indicates that that person needs to
> rethink his or her approach.  I have nothing more to say on this
> topic.
>
>> Your complaint risks obscuring the real
>> issues. If you want better discourse on
>> this forum, then insist on it. Be specific.
>> If you have a point, present evidence.
>> Otherwise, this is just another off-topic
>> thread that increases the noise.
>>
>> If you need to discuss further,
> I'm not discussing this further.  Every so often, people go off the
> rails here, and it's usually simple to get them back on.  Perhaps the
> difference is that my tolerance for it has decreased.  Regardless, I'm
> the one who has identified it and is complaining about it now.
>
>> I suggest that offline might be better.
>> Wrangling over Wolfe is one thing, but
>> wrangling over standards of civility is
>> another.
> I indicated a problem.  I made the mistake of continuing to discuss
> it, but my indicating the problem in the first place is not an
> instance of "wrangling".
>
> Mark Millman
Mark

(1) You seem to define "personal attack" as any questioning of your
ideas. Or is it just your idea of a "personal attack"?

(2) You asked us to only attack ideas, implying that all else is
personal. Is calling someone's behavior "disgusting" then a personal attack?

(3) And now you tell us that since you complained, a crime must have
been committed. Do you realize this logic effectively leaves you in
charge of the forum?

Boy, this is going nowhere fast.

You should know that sometimes, members who sincerely want to calm the
forum while still participating in it have made general remarks about
restoring civility. They avoid pointing fingers, but they also don't
drop cute hints that, in effect, accuse everyone. They don't start new
fights where before there were none. They don't come out of nowhere to
interrupt and impose themselves on a productive ongoing discussion. Some
of them even strive to set an example by their calm, restraint, and
humility.

May I suggest you rethink your own approach?