(urth) Typhon's nature

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Mon Oct 17 08:07:38 PDT 2011

On 10/17/2011 10:53 AM, Mark Millman wrote:
> Mr. Stockhoff,
>
> On Monday 17 October 2011, you wrote:
>
>>> Folks,
>>>
>>> Gerry Quinn is attacking
>>> ideas, not people.  As far
>>> as I can recall, he has
>>> only ever attacked ideas,
>>> and never people.  I won't
>>> name names--there should
>>> be no need--but I've repeat-
>>> edly seen Mr. Quinn per-
>>> sonally attacked.
>>>
>>> Please stop.  That is dis-
>>> gusting.  It also wastes
>>> time--or, if you prefer,
>>> bandwidth--that could be
>>> spent on strengthening
>>> arguments.
>>>
>>> Mark Millman
>> Mark, Gerry has only been accused of
>> obstructionism and the creation of
>> straw men. These are the things that
>> waste time and do not strengthen argu-
>> ments except by chance. Attacking
>> ideas is welcome and desirable, but
>> only if those ideas actually exist in
>> the first place.
>>
>> That's hardly a personal attack.
> I have noticed more than one instance of personal phrasing.  That's
> what makes it a personal attack.  My comments stand, no matter how
> pointless you may think his posts have been.
Mark

Are you sure you know what a personal attack is?

Your complaint risks obscuring the real issues. If you want better
discourse on this forum, then insist on it. Be specific. If you have a
point, present evidence. Otherwise, this is just another off-topic
thread that increases the noise.

If you need to discuss further, I suggest that offline might be better.
Wrangling over Wolfe is one thing, but wrangling over standards of
civility is another.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 111017-0, 10/17/2011
Tested on: 10/17/2011 11:07:38 AM