(urth) Typhon's nature

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 17 06:35:16 PDT 2011

> Gerry Quinn: And tell me why, if Wolfe wants to indicate that Typhon’s family are
> going through the motions of replicated characters in an ancient myth...

>David Stockhoff: This is a classic straw man.

I think David has a point here. Nobody has said the gods of the Whorl were exact
replicas of their mythological namesakes except you. All that was suggested is that
if they explicitly share some characteristics they might implicitly share others.

Gerry, this seems to be your standard modus operandi. You take suggestions of
evidence of complex possibilities and re-define them as simplistic, concrete
certainties, making them easy targets for criticism and derision. Which you then
proceed to gleefully provide.

Why not give the negativity a rest? Maybe you could come up with some of your own
unique ideas for understanding Wolfe's work. Or perhaps you could praise the ideas
of other people that you do like. It would be a nice change of pace.