(urth) Typhon's nature

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Mon Oct 17 05:00:21 PDT 2011

From: Lee Berman

> Actually I think Gerry, in a moment of weakness, did concede that the Bird-of-
> the-Woods story did map nicely to the Roman Rhea Silvia myth. Perhaps the heat
> of recent battle has driven him back to his fortified position of denial of any
> and all mythological significance in Wolfe's work.

Where did I ever dispute that that story is a mash-up of the story of Romulus and that of the Jungle Book, perhaps filtered through the perspective of generations unfamiliar with real animals, like those people confined in the Antechamber who displayed very similar misapprehensions?  If I recall correctly, my objection was to theories that the story was all about Typhon, because of course BotNS will never be ‘understood’ until it is boiled down to some little self-referential tangle with three or fewer actual characters...

- Gerry Quinn