(urth) Typhon's nature

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Sun Oct 16 19:56:39 PDT 2011

On 10/16/2011 10:11 PM, Lee Berman wrote:
> David Stockhoff: Two-in-one divinity takes one right back to divine incest,
> of course. A hermaphroditic Deity represents an ideal union of what here on
> Earth is forever divided. A self-pollinating "God" would fit right in, in Briah,
> with its perpetual, cyclical regeneration.  Remind you of anyone, Lee?
>
> Wow, that is insightful, David. In pondering the Sun series over the past years
>
> I came to be aware of perhaps the most important aspect of monotheism.  We can
>
> recognize that the Greek and other pantheons of ancient gods were not really immoral in
>
> their incestuous relationships because, who the heck else could they mate with?
>

> But, with a nod to Gerry, it is a human (and even mammalian) trait to avoid incest and
>
> we humans can't fully respect gods who participate in that (not to mention the "bestiality"
>
> of their matings with humans). And it is pretty clear from the mythologic stories that
>
> the Greeks really didn't respect their gods very much.
True! They feared them.
> Monotheism provides a God we can respect, especially among those prudish Middle Eastern types.
>
> I hadn't considered that a hermaphroditic "self-pollinating" god might solve that problem
>
> in a different way.
>

> David, were you hinting at Tzadkiel (who appears in male and in female form and would seem to
>
> have something to do with universal reproduction)? Tzadkiel has a son, Venant, and those such
>
> as Apheta are the "larvae" of the hierogrammates.  But we are not given enough information to
>
> know how such offpring are reproduced. Self-pollination..hm...I tellya, it might make sense.
>
> Hard to imagine Tzadkiel performing the sex act in the usual human way with some other. And
>
> Tzadkiel compares himself to a sponge animal...
You win the prize!

I'm not making any particular argument here. I just think Wolfe has
definitely thought these things over. He might simply have asked
himself, "What would a sentient sponge or a species of angels really be
like"? But it is a little eerie that we have touched on such matters as
divine incest and found resonance all over Briah.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 111016-1, 10/16/2011
Tested on: 10/16/2011 10:56:39 PM