(urth) Typhon's nature

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 16 13:49:07 PDT 2011

>David Stockhoff: I also should clarify that the mystery of Sillk's genetic

>heritage and Typhon's relationship with Echidna may OR may not be separate

>problems. If the explicit Silk problem can be traced back to Typhon/Echidna, then
>the source of the sperm Echidna used to create her family becomes much
>more relevant and the incest question more acute.

>Until then, I regard Typhonic incest as implied but unproven.

A nice synthesis of these two issues. This mirrors my own view, which is that

there are implications of partial mythological mapping througout the text of

the Sun series but nothing concrete enough so that a person like Gerry would

be forced to concede the possible relevance.

Actually I think Gerry, in a moment of weakness, did concede that the Bird-of-

the-Woods story did map nicely to the Roman Rhea Silvia myth. Perhaps the heat

of recent battle has driven him back to his fortified position of denial of any

and all mythological significance in Wolfe's work.

This time it is your fault not mine David. ;- )

>Gerry Quinn: I notice you don’t mention Typhon’s father.  Could that be something

>to do with the fact that his father was TARTARUS?

I think that is a good question, though the assumption that I ought to be addressing

all the complexities of all the issues of these stories in one post is rather an

unrealistic expectation. Neither did I address the indirect relationship of

mythological Typhon to Phaea. She was the human caretaker of one of Typhon and

Echidna's monstrous offspring, the Hus Krommyon or Crommoyon Sow. And no, I'm not

going to discuss Babby at this time.

Anyway regarding Tartaros, I think this is another example of the father-son sequence

confusion which is tangentially introduced througout the Sun series but is most explicitly

stated in RttW.

As has been suggested in the past I think this has its basis in the father-son confusion

of ambiguous gender Dionysus being a primeval Greek deity who gave rise to the Titans and

Olympians and their paternalistic kings Chronos and Zeus. One of Zeus' offspring was then

ambiguous gender Dionysus who was a primary deity (in various guises) during the pre-Christian

period centered across what was Alexander's empire.

I think it is the belief of many pagan cults that the paternalistic Christian religion

which now dominates so much of the Western world will one day be again supplanted by

worship of the hermaphroditic, One True God, Dionysus, Great God Pan, The Green Man or

various other names he goes by.  Son-Father-Son-Father-Son gods...etc. It is confusing

and I think WOlfe is astute in recognizing that gnostic confusion in this story.