(urth) Typhon's nature

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Sat Oct 15 04:36:34 PDT 2011

On 10/15/2011 6:23 AM, Gerry Quinn wrote:
> *From:* David Stockhoff <mailto:dstockhoff at verizon.net>
> On 10/14/2011 6:15 PM, Gerry Quinn wrote:
> > >
> > > *From:* David Stockhoff <mailto:dstockhoff at verizon.net>

> > > Because he had access to the technology, and he didn’t use it.
> > How do you know this?
> Surely these things are obvious? We know he had the technology,
> because the Whorl is loaded with it. It seems obvious that a
> technology that can produce Mucor or a psychic internet can prevent,
> say, the blindness of Tartarus, who seems otherwise sound. So Typhon
> must have chosen not to use it.
Thank you for a concrete example! But he didn't give Tartarus mechanical
eyes either. Did he also not like cyborging them? Or is something else
going on?

> > > such

> > > In Severian’s time, people certainly would.
> > How do you know?
> When I re-entered the cell, Agilus was sitting cross-legged, his back
> propped by the wall. "Don't ask me about Agia," be said. "Everything
> you suspect is true--is that enough? I will be dead tomorrow, and she
> will wed the old man who dotes on her, or someone else. I wanted her
> to do it sooner. He couldn't have prevented her from seeing me, her
> brother. Now I will be gone, and she won't have even that to worry about."
> Clearly incest is not the norm in Severian’s time.

No one, and I mean NO ONE, has suggested that incest is "the norm"
anywhere, ever. At all. You do your own arguments no service when you
twist others' arguments into nonrecognition before denying them.

The rulers of ancient Egypt committed incest almost by definition. Do
you really think it was "remarked upon" by Egyptians?

It has been suggested that "sacred" incest is a motif in the Sun books.
It has been explained why that might be the case. And it has nothing to
do with Margaret Meade. Are you interested at all?

---
Virus Database (VPS): 111014-1, 10/14/2011
Tested on: 10/15/2011 7:36:35 AM