(urth) Typhon's nature

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Sat Oct 15 04:28:51 PDT 2011

On 10/15/2011 6:08 AM, Gerry Quinn wrote:
> *From:* David Stockhoff <mailto:dstockhoff at verizon.net>
> >
> On 10/14/2011 6:11 PM, Gerry Quinn wrote:
> >
> > *From:* David Stockhoff <mailto:dstockhoff at verizon.net>

> > found out

> > strike

> > > So, emphatically yes (because they are not).
> > >

> > Aren’t they? Decuman seems to have them. So does Mucor. The Cumaean
> >
> > has. In Typhon’s time, there was a telepathic internet.
>

> In my example, I am not a character living in Briah.
> Then I don’t understand the point of it.
Right.

> > > Which means he does not have them at all.
> >
> > Sure he has them!
> >
> No, he does not. Rather, he has Piaton.
> Which includes Piaton’s hands. If all had gone well, Piaton’s head
> would soon have been dispensed with, and the distinction becomes even
> less meaningful.
It's as though the discussion about genetic inheritance never happened!

> > > I thought you said there was no difference! But again: "I sent my
> >
> > > thought to far places." Why, do you think, he said that? Why did Wolfe
> >
> > > have him say that?
> > He’s talking about telepresence, virtualities? Or maybe just alluding
> >
> > to looking at satellite images etc.
> >
> But why did he say it LIKE THAT?
> What’s wrong with the way he said it? He thinks he’s talking to an oik
> who has never seen a TV.
Who said there was anything wrong? Are we not discussing theories to fit
them to facts? But thank you for your long-awaited answer---it is much
the same as my own.

> > > It adds colour to our understanding of life in Typhon’s empire, just
> > > as elsewhere we learn a little about life in Ascia.
> > I am sure that is why Wolfe wrote the series: to provide color and
> > information, like a white writer in the South after the Civil War.
> You don’t think that fleshing out such imaginary societies is part of
> the writer’s job?
It's certainly not your job to put words in my mouth.

> Do you
> > > A kolpochoerus sandwich is another example of something that is
> > > perfectly plausible,,. but for wich we have no evidence one way or
> the
> > > other. All we know is he gave Severian food of some sort. (If I
> had to
> > > guess, I’d say something like the ready meals eaten by Silk and
> > > Mamelta on the lander.)
> > Are you a machine?
> I’m finding your responses increasingly hard to compute, that’s for sure.

I can tell, Gerry!

---
Virus Database (VPS): 111014-1, 10/14/2011
Tested on: 10/15/2011 7:28:51 AM