(urth) Typhon's nature

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Sat Oct 15 03:23:05 PDT 2011

From: David Stockhoff

On 10/14/2011 6:15 PM, Gerry Quinn wrote:

> > *From:* David Stockhoff <mailto:dstockhoff at verizon.net>
> > >
> > > Why do you think this?
> > Because he had access to the technology, and he didn’t use it.
> How do you know this?
Surely these things are obvious?  We know he had the technology, because the Whorl is loaded with it.  It seems obvious that a technology that can produce Mucor or a psychic internet can prevent, say, the blindness of Tartarus, who seems otherwise sound.  So Typhon must have chosen not to use it.

> > such
> > >
> > > WE would. Would anyone on Urth?
> > In Severian’s time, people certainly would.
> How do you know?

When I re-entered the cell, Agilus was sitting cross-legged, his back propped by the wall. "Don't ask me about Agia," be said. "Everything you suspect is true--is that enough? I will be dead tomorrow, and she will wed the old man who dotes on her, or someone else. I wanted her to do it sooner. He couldn't have prevented her from seeing me, her brother. Now I will be gone, and she won't have even that to worry about."
Clearly incest is not the norm in Severian’s time.

- Gerry Quinn