(urth) (urth] Re: Typhon's nature

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Sat Oct 15 02:48:05 PDT 2011

From: David Stockhoff
On 10/14/2011 3:02 PM, Gerry Quinn wrote:

> > I disagree.  Typhon valued technology and knowledge.  He wanted to

> > rule a hi-tech interstellar empire, for which purposes an educated

> > citizenry (for example, Mamelta) is useful.  What makes you think he

> > wanted to destroy it?

> Gerry, his people didn't even know how to speak out loud. Why would he

> want them to read?

Mamelta and those like her didn’t speak out loud because they had an alternative that they found adequate (presumably the same is true of Apheta, Tzadkiel etc.)  They were perfectly well able to communicate.  Mamelta was trained as a computer technician, and that was only a part of her responsibilities.  She did not appear ignorant on general subjects, although she had not been informed about anything to do with the Whorl (then again, she should not have had to spend more than a day or two there before embarking on a lander).
Whether she reads we are not told, but she is knowledgeable about computers (and can repair them) and spacecraft and biology.

> An emperor wants to keep knowledge to himself and his servants.
Typhon’s servants were his subjects.  He might have wanted to destroy the libraries of his enemies.  There is no indication that he wanted to destroy those of his friends.  Indeed, I don’t believe your generalisation about emperors anyway.  Some emperors may.  I don’t think it would be Typhon’s style.
- Gerry Quinn