(urth) [BGSpam]Re: Typhon's nature

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Fri Oct 14 16:28:40 PDT 2011

On 10/14/2011 6:11 PM, Gerry Quinn wrote:
> *From:* David Stockhoff <mailto:dstockhoff at verizon.net>

> found out
> strike
> >
> > > Not really, if psychic powers are reasonably common.
> >
> > So, emphatically yes (because they are not).
> >
> Aren’t they? Decuman seems to have them. So does Mucor. The Cumaean
> has. In Typhon’s time, there was a telepathic internet.
In my example, I am not a character living in Briah.

> > > I don’t see evidence that Typhon did either of those things.
> > "I sent my thought to far places." Jeff says this may be bombast.
> > However, in the light of what has been mentioned about Urth society
> > before the Whorl, Typhon may have been speaking as he would if his
> > society still existed, which would put a different spin on it. We might
> > say, "I googled it and found 7637542 hits."
> It’s not bombast: what Typhon says is true, there are powers in the
> sea who would rule. Whatever he did to find out, he did something and
> it worked. “I sent my thoughts into far places” is how he explains it
> to Severian. Probably he used some sort of telepresence system to
> access the databases, military systems or whatever.
We've been through this. I agree that IF the "telnet" (still working on
what to call it) survives, then the link between thought and data is
ready-made.
> > > He does have strong arms and hands, strong enough to dangle Severian
> > > over a cliff. But then again, he took those from Piaton.
> >
> > Which means he does not have them at all.
> Sure he has them!
No, he does not. Rather, he has Piaton.

> "significance" of
> choices---the
> > > I don’t see it. When did he claim to have psychic powers?
> > I thought you said there was no difference! But again: "I sent my
> > thought to far places." Why, do you think, he said that? Why did Wolfe
> > have him say that?
> He’s talking about telepresence, virtualities? Or maybe just alluding
> to looking at satellite images etc.
But why did he say it LIKE THAT?

> > So, then: how can the internet device be "significant to our
> > interpretation of the story."? It presents no challenges, is completely
> > boring, and is never mentioned.
> When did I say it was significant?
You didn't. It isn't. Is it possible to make a point to you that is not
completely literal?
> It adds colour to our understanding of life in Typhon’s empire, just
> as elsewhere we learn a little about life in Ascia.
I am sure that is why Wolfe wrote the series: to provide color and
information, like a white writer in the South after the Civil War.

> > I propose that the food Typhon feeds Severian is a ham sandwich. Do you
> > concur?
> A kolpochoerus sandwich is another example of something that is
> perfectly plausible,,. but for wich we have no evidence one way or the
> other. All we know is he gave Severian food of some sort. (If I had to
> guess, I’d say something like the ready meals eaten by Silk and
> Mamelta on the lander.)
Are you a machine?

> > > I don’t think the people in Typhon’s society are tools any more than
> > > people in any tightly controlled society are tools.
> >
> > Not a part of my argument. However, that raises a point: which came
> > first? Were people forced to have implants, or did they have them
> > already and Typhon took advantage?
> Who knows? It would have been convenient for Typhon if they systems
> were already in use, of course.
Sure. Plot convenience is an author's primary concern.

> > > Typhon *was* powerful and unique, but it was not any psychic
> powers he
> > > had that made him so. Or so I think. Once he ruled Urth, he imposed
> > > his will by a variety of means, but I doubt whether innate mind
> > > control abilities were part of it.
> >
> > But you have no particular reason to say this, except that you dismiss
> > it, and therefore you doubt it, and therefore you dismiss it.
> Direct person to person mind control is a lousy way to rule an empire
> containing billions of subjects. We hear lots about the methods
> actually used by Typhon, and they are military, technological, and
> personality based.
An empire must have many redundant systems. Tree, meet bark.

Are you really going to spend 5 more days trying to prove a negative you
can't prove?

---
Virus Database (VPS): 111014-1, 10/14/2011
Tested on: 10/14/2011 7:28:41 PM