(urth) Urth - Earth links

Antonin Scriabin kierkegaurdian at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 12:46:07 PDT 2011

"So it didn't seem like a far future religious manuscript to you, with the
new sun coming to save the earth from the death of the sun at the end of
mankind?"

There were definitely religious themes towards the beginning, but that
eventually seemed to be because the characters didn't have all the facts
about who the Conciliator was.  As Severian learns and experiences more, the
divine element becomes less prominent.  There are fantastic, but not divine,
reasons for the way things are, and will be.  The Conciliator seems to be a
religious figure of divine origin before it is discovered that he was a
time-traveling pawn of inter-dimensional beings who have a (sort of)
unexplained interest in one small planet, out of many.  That, together with
the fact that it is written as a memoir from a not altogether trustworthy or
nice person made it seem very unlike a religious manuscript.