(urth) Urth - Earth links

Antonin Scriabin kierkegaurdian at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 12:31:47 PDT 2011

I was indeed brought up in a very religious household, with all of those
things you mentioned; I didn't take the apparent reference to Christ to be
anything more than a secular adjustment of present-day myths for a
far-future Urth.  Our entire mythology, Christian or otherwise, is condensed
to some bizarre miasma in the dying Sun days; whatever resemblance they have
to present Christianity is the result of cultural evolution.  It seems to me
that Holy Catherine (sp? I don't have the book in front of me) isn't even a
religious figure; just a left-over tradition from long ago that the Guild
retains for tradition's sake.  Despite initial impressions, I think it
becomes clear that the Conciliator is not Christ (or a type of Christ), and
when you read what Wolfe wrote about concerning the "translation" of TBONS,
it becomes further clear that references to saints, the use of Latin, etc.,
are just contrivances by the "translator" to make the story accessible to
the reader.  We aren't supposed to think that they are actually referring to
"saints" as we know them; the word "saint" is just supposed to the closest
equivalent for the purposes of translation.