(urth) Typhon's nature

Andrew Mason andrew.mason53 at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 14 11:43:26 PDT 2011

Gerry Quinn wrote: >

> From: Lee Berman
>
>> Some think the monarch who planned to destroy all human
>> books/knowledge was Typhon but I dunno.
>
> Nothing Typhon does or says indicates that he would contemplate such an act.

The monarch repented, and everything we see of Typhon, both on Urth
and on the Whorl, would have come after that repentance. I think it's
clear that this monarch is Typhon, since in _Urth_ there is a specific
reference to him as having brought the books to to the Citadel.

It remains true, though, that the machine-run society seems to belong
to a much earlier period, the First Empire. Such machines, Malrubius
tells us, still exist, but they are clearly not commonplace.