(urth) Typhon's nature

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Fri Oct 14 11:41:30 PDT 2011

On 10/14/2011 2:25 PM, Gerry Quinn wrote:
> *From:* Lee Berman <mailto:severiansola at hotmail.com>
>
> > >Gerry Quinn: Echidna is (presumably) no blood relation of Typhon,
> yet her
> > >digitised personality has similar powers.
>
> > Mythological Echidna was Typhon's sister as well as his mate.
>
> That depends on which of a dozen origin stories you select. Besides,
> they were monsters, not people.
> > I think there
> > was a purpose in naming her this way. Part of it was surely that
> Typhon and
> > Echidna are known as the "mother and father of all monsters". But
> wny not
> > make their sibling relationship part of it also. Pagan ruling houses
> were well
> > known to use sibling matings to solidify dynasties.
> One might note in this regard that Typhon’s offspring were all in some
> way defective.
Great point.
> On the other hand, Typhon would have known of the dangers of
> inbreeding, and it also seems that he didn’t much like the idea of
> genetically engineering his offspring.
Why do you think this?
> So it would be remarkable if he married his sister. Duke Rigoglio
> doesn’t mention anything unusual about his marriage – you’d think such
> a thing would be remarked upon.
WE would. Would anyone on Urth? Anyway, perhaps there was some reason
why Typhon might want to narrow the gene pool---I mean, marry his
sister---even despite the (actually very small) risks ... racking my
brain ... can't think of any ....

> > Even if there were no evidence of genetically similar powers, I
> would think
> > it more likely that Echidna was Typhon's sister than that she wasn't.
> There is no evidence whatsoever of genetically similar powers. We are
> told nothing about any genetically endowed powers Echidna (or whatever
> her real name was) may have had. We know her digitised personality can
> invoke the personality transfer mechanisms installed in the Sacred
> Windows, but so can all the others except maybe Tartarus.
Correct.
> > The assumption of outbreeding and marriage based on love is a modern
> prejudice.
> Outbreeding has notable advantages that societies ignore at their
> peril. As for love, it’s not unlikely that Typhon married into some
> powerful family rather than for love; he had concubines as well, after
> all. Or perhaps Echidna was necessary to him in some other way. But
> there’s no particular evidence of incest that I can see.
You're right---Typhon was not wearing his INCEST IS BEST T-shirt when he
met Severian.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 111014-0, 10/14/2011
Tested on: 10/14/2011 2:41:31 PM